Monday, November 3, 2008

Hunting Elk at 11,000 feet

This is looking straight south at the top of the mountain peaks around 4:30 pm
If you look closely in the center of the picture you can see some cow elk and calves. They are around 600 yards away. I shot a 5x5 bull about 50 yards down from them.




This is looking straight east of where I was sitting.



These pictures are of the old Barstow mine area around 11,200 feet in elevation. The hike starts around 10,500 and is about 1 mile long to get to the area I was hunting. I shot a bull on tuesday evening and it got dark before I could locate him. I hiked back in the next day and found blood and hair but was unable to keep the blood trail and lost the bull. He was shot around 550 yards and immediately hit the ground. By the time I could hike up to him he had crawled away. I am glad I got to at least see some elk this year and be lucky enough to get a shot. The kill percentage on public ground is around 3%.








Hunting areas south of town a couple miles. This is the area I was hunting the first 3 days. It is about 7000 feet and normally holds quite a few deer and elk. This area isnt used much since it is a pretty tough hike to get an animal out once killed. I did not see much so I stopped hunting this area and moved to the next area.












No comments: